In principle no. It is not appropriate for a company to organise or support Events at hotels or resorts renowned for their entertainment facilities or centred around recreational or sporting activities such as golf, private beach or ski/water sports. Exceptions might be considered for venues well adapted to business meetings in the otherwise compliant geographic location where there is a compelling need to use the chosen venue -for example, a lack of alternative venues or genuine safety or security issues. In certain circumstances, hotel accommodations separate from the venue might be required for compliance. Where an exception is considered, the Event’s promotional material should not feature the on-site leisure aspects of the conference venue as a key attraction and the Event’s agenda should be arranged in such a way that attending Healthcare Professionals would not be free to make use of the leisure and sporting facilities during any significant part of a normal working day. Further, where hotels require additional payment to use the leisure or sporting facilities, industry may not make such payments on behalf of the Healthcare Professionals. Cruise ships or hotels with on-site casinos are under no circumstances compliant with the Code, either as an Event venue or for accommodation of Healthcare Professionals.
Related Knowledge Base Posts
- Can a sample be sold for commercial gain?
- What are demonstration products?
- What is a Sample?
- Can we make a donation to a Public Hospital so that they can purchase patient gowns?
- What are possible sanctions for breaches of the provisions of the Code?
- Is a contract between a company and HCO for the sale/loan/rental or placement of capital equipment, which includes a provision pertaining to the purchase of consumables/disposables associated with the equipment is permitted?
- Is a branded wine aerator to the value of R 300 incl vat an acceptable promotional item?
- Is it inappropriate to arrange company product and procedure training at company events since one should only offer unbiased education; with no mention of brand names.
- Is it permissible to arrange a two hour Hop-on-Hop-off tour of the city for some HCPs on the morning of the fourth day whilst the HCP’s are waiting for their flights to depart.
- I have arranged a CPD event. Can I hand out company branded promotional items?