Heather Irvine is a partner in Bowmans Johannesburg office Corporate Department and a member of the Competition Practice.
Heather specializes in complex mergers, competition law complaints and pricing disputes. She has particular expertise in the manufacturing, mobile telecommunications, financial services and broadcasting sectors.
Her experience includes launching two of the first applications in cartel cases to the Constitutional Court in South Africa and managing several dawn raids for clients in South Africa and Zambia. Heather has also successfully secured immunity for clients in terms of the South African Competition Commission’s corporate leniency policy. She also advises clients on their compliance programmes, and on designing and implementing online competition law training.
Heather has BA and Honours degrees (both cum laude) and an LLB (magna cum laude), from the University of Cape Town. She also has a Competition Law Certificate from the University of the Witwatersrand and has been an external examiner in undergraduate and master’s competition law courses at that university for the past five years.
Awards & citations
- Women@40 in their 40s (2019)
- Global Competition Review 100 Successful Women in the Field of Global Competition Law (2013 and 2016)
- Global Competition Review World Top 40 Under 40 (2012)
- Chambers Global has ranked Heather in Band 2 for Competition/Antitrust – South Africa category
- IFLR1000 has ranked Heather as a Highly Regarded lawyer for Competition