In principle, yes, this is allowed. It is important to still get authorisation for the source of collection and to keep and use All POPI principles apply e.g. notifications to HCPs. Please note that caution should be taken of profiling using data and automated decision making.
Related Knowledge Base Posts
- How do I get CPD points for a SAMED Event?
- In the case where a healthcare provider request the patient’s name on the invoice, how should Medtech suppliers respond?
- Some procedures are not covered by medical funders and so the patients obtain quotes for themselves which will include patient information the device itself, if ordered, is sent directly to their chosen healthcare professional to administer/implant. How will this be affected by POPI?
- Will hospitals be able to function without patient names and only identify patients by numbers?
- Can a sample be sold for commercial gain?
- What are demonstration products?
- What is a Sample?
- Can we make a donation to a Public Hospital so that they can purchase patient gowns?
- What are possible sanctions for breaches of the provisions of the Code?