It is not a POPI requirement to omit patient names and this depends purely on the context. Any decisions the healthcare provider makes in terms of protecting patient safety and interest must be adhered to.
Related Knowledge Base Posts
- How do I get CPD points for a SAMED Event?
- Medtech suppliers often retain records of HCP device preferences, the number of cases they perform and other data for trend analysis. This is shared with new sales staff taking over territory or for existing sales staff to adjust their sales approach. Will this still be permissible under POPI?
- In the case where a healthcare provider request the patient’s name on the invoice, how should Medtech suppliers respond?
- Some procedures are not covered by medical funders and so the patients obtain quotes for themselves which will include patient information the device itself, if ordered, is sent directly to their chosen healthcare professional to administer/implant. How will this be affected by POPI?
- Can a sample be sold for commercial gain?
- What are demonstration products?
- What is a Sample?
- Can we make a donation to a Public Hospital so that they can purchase patient gowns?
- What are possible sanctions for breaches of the provisions of the Code?